11 Apr 2010

Made a Shire protector for the wood siderail

Here are some pictures, including a pic of my LE apron with a left side replacement decal. See: 26 March.

Not a huge fan of the PoTD diverter mods, so first I added the pinbits protectors to top/bottom of Arwen plastic and at the bottom of the shire hole.  Noticed after ~500 plays that the wood rail on the side of the Shire hole was taking hits and getting dented.  So I have fabricated my own protector.  Top dimensions are 4 3/8" x 9/16" cut from the bottom of a clear CD case.


Avantages are a moulded edge and a lip that fits snugly over the rail. Also a new CD case has a good finish and will be fairly durable.  Cut it to size with a hacksaw and then finished up the cut edges with #400 grit sandpaper.  It's held in place by a drilled hole for the metal post at the front and (uh-huh) double sided tape to the wood rail.  Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment