23 Mar 2010

GI Colored Bulbs a "How To"

Installed 10 x #44 yellow bulbs
P4P order arrives including the VUK forked replacement switch, I like that description as in "Your VUK switch is forked, get a new one"!
Also 10 yellow #44 bulbs from P4P which were an easy fit: 9 along the shooter lane for the controlled lamps that "strobe" in sequence.  The other bulb is a GI further in under the sword lock.
Planning to change the sword lock flasher for an amber/yellow bulb.  Once I figure out how to do it without taking the whole sword ramp apart! An LED flasher would be better there, too.
Update 25 Mar 2010: I did this with fingertips from each side, but it's not easy.  Now an Amber/Yellow #906 flasher.

  • Tip: Change G.I. bulbs from the underside more easily without taking apart slingshots or plastics. Use a small power screwdriver with no bit, the 1/4" drive is exactly the right size.  Stern put in black "post beads" which act as gromets to hold the screws in place.  All these tips work on other games.

I usually make my own colored bulbs with "Marabu GlassArt" glass paint, but didn't have any yellow. It's for painting vases or lightbulbs,
a guy called "Modding Stan" in the UK taught me how. Use a clothespeg to dip them, hold glass bulb downwards and wipe the excess back into the jar.  Hang them over the side of a table with a weight on top of the peg, glass bulb down.
Wipe any excess with the edge of a kitchen towel before it dries if it forms a drip. Dry for 24hrs and done! Lots of green ones on the GI of my AFM, better for GI than LEDs as the triacs dim them up and down right.

I use the following colors ( from www.artdiscount.co.uk probably available near you, too)
  • Green Bulbs - GlassART 50ml 463 Light Green
  • Red   Bulbs - GlassART 50ml 434 Bordeaux
  • Blue  Bulbs - GlassART 50ml 498 Turquoise
  • There is a Yellow (420) and a Lemon (421) listed but I haven't tried them.  The darker of the two is Yellow.
    A 50ml jar costs £3 in the UK ($4.50) and does a lot of #44/47/555 Bulbs or #906 Flashers!
PinballPal Stealth protectors for cabinet and playfield arrives.  Mylar protectors fit nicely around the Start Button and Flipper buttons.  I also like the extra lockbar foam strip with the leg protectors, as you can get wear on the brass siderails and cabinet paint under the lockbar without them.

After working on the game, I had other things to do!  So I didn't get around to fitting the Shire VUK or playing any pinball today. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment